American Idiot the Musical
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
American Idiot the Musical Information
Show Quick Facts
- Green Day musical based on their 2004 album, American Idiot.
- Opened April 20, 2010.
- Tony-Award Nominee for Best Musical in 2010.
April 20, 2010 - April 2011
St. James Theater
246 W 44th St.
New York, New York 10036
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 2 reviews
3.3 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
American Idiot the Musical Reviews
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the show, but category representations. Visit the show's web site for actual photos.
American Idiot the Musical
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Green Day Rock Opera Built Around Award-Winning 2004 Concept Album
Features: Punk rock legends Green Day get the big-budget Broadway treatment with American Idiot the Musical. Based on their classic 2004 album of the same name, American Idiot Broadway rouses the punk spirit of the 21st-century and follows the lives of three friends fed up with suburban America. A rock opera spectacle that challenges authority and stirs up emotions, American Idiot the Musical is a great way to spend an evening on Broadway, whether you're a fan of Green Day or not.
Why We Go: American Idiot Broadway is based on the wildly popular 2004 concept album by Green Day, and features hit songs like "American Idiot," "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," and "Holiday" performed by an energetic ensemble cast. The plot keeps dialogue on a minimum, and director Michael Mayer largely lets the music of Green Day tell the story of this plight into coming-of-age anger and restlessness.
- The Music: Enjoy Green Day like you've never heard them before. Even if you've never heard American Idiot, you'll be blown away by the energy and the story brought to life on stage in American Idiot the Musical.
- The Sets: With their brutal depiction of war zones, as well as the realistic urban American landscape of NYC, it's no wonder that American Idiot Broadway was the 2010 Tony Award Winner for Best Scenic Design and Best Lighting Design for a Musical.
- The Buzz: This well-publicized Green Day musical has been in the making for several years, and given that just about everyone knows the most popular songs from this award-winning album, the buzz behind American Idiot the Musical has made it a must-see Broadway show.
Inside Knowledge: The lead singer of Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong, stepped in as the character St. Jimmy for a handful of American Idiot NYC dates in late 2010. His positive reviews - and the surge in ticket sales - has lead to Armstrong performing even more often in 2011, with several performances scheduled between January 1 and February 27 and beyond.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Pay Close Attention to the Music: American Idiot NYC doesn't include much dialogue, and relies heavily on the music of Green Day to tell the story of the struggles of breaking free from suburbia.
- Do Stay for the Final Number: Don't run out of the St. James Theater when the American Idiot Musical cast takes their final bow, or you'll risk missing the last song of the night - Green Day's famous 1990s hit, "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)."
- Don't Attempt a Mosh Pit: We know it's tough, but please refrain from jumping all over your seatmates during the most rocking moments of the American Idiot Musical. After all, it is Broadway.
- Don't Bring the Kids: This Green Day musical includes adult themes like drug use, politics and sexual situations, and not appropriate for kids under 13.