Great Five Borough Bike Tour
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
Hotel Rates in New York City
Restaurants in New York City
Great Five Borough Bike Tour Summary
Event Overview: With approximately 32,000 participants, the Great Five Borough Bike Tour is by far the largest recreational cycling event in the United States. Each year, avid cyclists and passionate New Yorkers tour the five boroughs of New York City in a 42-mile circuit. Rest stops offer drinks and snacks such as orange slices and bananas. Food can also be purchased at any of the countless deli-style restaurants passed along the way.
What to Expect: A good workout. As its name implies, the Great Five Borough Bike Tour passes through all five of New York City's boroughs (some only briefly), for a total distance of 42 miles. Of course, rest stops are provided with some frequency.
- Bottlenecks: Because of the high number of participants in the Great Five Borough Bike Tour, bottlenecking often occurs on narrow thoroughfares. Expect to walk your bike on these occasions.
- Comradery: Whether you're an avid cycler, a passionate New Yorker, or a dedicated sightseer, you'll enjoy mingling with likeminded people at the Great Five Borough Bike Tour. Expect to make friends with other participants over snacks and drinks at the rest stops and the concluding festival.
Inside Knowledge: The Great Five Borough Bike Tour began in 1977 as the Five Boro Challenge, with approximately 250 participants. Since then, this cherished NYC bike tour has grown in popularity, attracting well over 30,000 in 2010, making it the largest recreational cycling event in the United States.
- Take the Ferry: If you plan on driving to the Great Five Borough Bike Tour, park in Staten Island and take the ferry to the start area. This way, you'll avoid waiting for the ferry after the tour, and you'll also avoid the ride through Manhattan traffic back to your car. Paid parking is available at the minor league stadium adjacent to the ferry terminal.
- Arrive Early: Arrive early to this NYC bike tour if you don't want to start late. The 6am ferry will assure you a place you in the queue near Duane Street, and you'll likely begin the tour by 8:10 or 8:15. Those who catch the 6:30 ferry will likely be queued south of Chambers Street, with the second wave. Note that the farther back you are in the queue, the longer it will take you to get to Central Park.
- Layer Clothes: While the weather in New York can be unpredictable, it's usually a good idea to wear layers of clothes that you can strip off as the temperatures change (be sure not to tie sweatshirts around your waist, though, as these can get caught in your wheels).
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 2 reviews
100.0% recommended it
Great Five Borough Bike Tour Reviews
Great Five Borough Bike Tour Photos
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the venue, but category representations. Visit the hotel's web site for actual photos.
Great Five Borough Bike Tour
A 42-Mile Tour of New York City in the Great Five Borough Bike Tour
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Event Quick Facts
- The Great Five Borough Bike Tour passes through all five boroughs of New York City in a 42-mile circuit.
- This NYC bike tour is held every year on the first Sunday in May.
- Children under 14 who participate in this NY bike tour must be supervised by a parent or guardian.
Bowling Green (4, 5); Whitehall St (R, W); Rector St-Greenwich St (1)