Well NYC Tourists, it's the first full week of fall, and you know what that means! (Well, if you don't, we're going to tell you.) It means that it's time to start gearing up for a new season! Pull out the sweaters and jackets and reds, oranges and browns you've had tucked away in the back of your closet, or go shopping for new stuff! Get ready for some warmer food, more craft beer and fall festivals and events in NYC!
Some of our favorite things to do in NYC in the fall definitely include the shopping, eating and drinking mentioned above (well, that's all year, but even more now) but the NYC October events 2012 are proving to make this a year for the books, and the fall festivals, fall foliage in NYC and temperature changes have been long awaited! Here are all the things that we suggest every NYC Tourist keeps in mind on their trip to New York City this fall - from the festivals and events to the best NYC deals this season you'll want take advantage of!
New York City October Events
- September 15 - October 21(ish) - Oktoberfest in NYC - Celebrate the time of year with your favorite craft beer at breweries around NYC! There are often kid-friendly events at some places as well.
- September 27-October 13 - Fall for Dance Festival in NYC - for just $15 a performance, you can see some of the best dance companies take to the stage in New York this fall!
- September 28- October 14 - Held annually at the Lincoln Center
- All of October - Archtober - October in NYC is Design and Architecture month! Take a design tour, attend a lecture or film and celebrate the city's buildings with at this years participants!
- All of October - Pumpkin patches, corn fields and hayrides! Every weekend at Decker Farm, Staten Island
- October 1-3 - Yankees vs. Redsocks
- October 5 - Picasson Black and White opens at the Guggenheim
- October 5-7 - The New Yorker Festival - The top minds in politics and liberal arts are coming together for 3 days of discussions, speeches and more!
- October 6 - The Butterfly Conservatory opens at the American Museum of Natural History for the 15th running year!
- October 8 - Columbus Day Parade - In 1942 Columbus sailed the ocean blue - but now this parade sails through 5th Avenue
- October 11-14 - New York Comic Con - It gets bigger every year, which means more fun and well... more fun.
- October 14 - Tour de Bronx - See NYC on your bike through the city! 25 miles, 40 miles, whatever you feel like you're up for today!
- October 16-20 - CMJ Music Marathon - Over 1,300 bands are taking over the music venues in NYC, along with parties, discussions and meet-ups!
- October 17-21 - NYC Food Film Festival - Watch foodie films then sample the goods for 5 days!
- October 27-21 - NYC Halloween Parties by Joonbug - Those 21 and up can dress up, drink Halloween-themed concoctions and mingle with thousands of other people at these extravagant get-togethers! These events draw in world-famous DJ's every year and, as you can expect, they can sell out quickly! Get your tickets soon!
- October 31 - Halloween Village Parade - Anyone with a costume is welcome to join in!
- Mid-Fall - Ice skating rinks begin to open in NYC! We'll keep you updated on the openings as they come, so follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ so that you don't miss a thing!
NYC Restaurants and Bars to Visit This Fall
- Well, with Oktoberfest and all, you're obviously going to want to visit some of the best craft beer bars in NYC! Some of our favorites include Pony Bar, Blind Tiger Ale House, The Stag's Head and more! Definitely check those out this fall!
- You can win tickets to Rock & Roll with Morimoto and Friends during the NYC Wine & Food Festival October 11-14! If you can score tickets to this feast, you'll have the chance to eat enough (and enough of the really good stuff at that) to last you all winter!
- Some restaurants are opening up this fall! Including 2 bakeries on the Upper West Side (Birdbath on 85th and Columbus Ave) and a Turkish Bakery at 124 W. 72nd St (taking the place of an old AT&T shop, who needs 'em?!) The Smith is a gastropub we've been waiting for. They have a location Downtown, but now there's one opening in East Village as well! Curry King is an Indian restaurant opening on Columbus Ave between 106th and 107th and Corvo Bianco is an Italian restaurant we can expect on 81st and Columbus sometime in October!Dakota Bar is a bar with an "eclectic menu" to please your palate and Cafe Tallulah is a wine bar we could expect late October (but possibly later.)
- We also recently came out with a few restaurants we think you need to try in NYC, which you still need to if you haven't yet.
The Best Tours in New York City This Fall
- A hop on hop off tour is great this time of year! You get a guided tour through New York City and every time you come to a place you think you want to get out and explore, just hop off the bus, walk around, snap a few photos of course, and catch the next bus to continue your tour! You get to experience all the best of New York City, but you don’t have to kill your feet, or your wallet, getting there. You can save 10% on a hop on hop off tour with the NYC Hop on Hop Off & Liberty Pass!
- This is also a nice time for a walking tour of NYC if you remember to pack your comfortable shoes. MCNY Tours offer fun ways to explore the historical neighborhoods in NYC!
- A New York Harbor Dinner Cruise can be both fun, romantic (or not if it’s not that kind of trip) and relaxing while you see beautiful views of the city from the cruise ship.
- Photo Tours are fun this time of year because the city is often beautiful with fall foliage and it’s not so cold that you’re wearing too many clothes to see your face. The Best NY Photo Trek Tour is a good one if you’re sticking around Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge Tour is fun, where you’ll get tons of shots with famous landmarks! The Central Park Tours make for another way to capture your trip with an NYC backdrop.
NYC Deals This Fall
You're going to be doing a lot on your trip to New York City this fall. From all the Broadway shows that are going on right now to shopping for a new fall wardrobe (and what better place to do that than in NYC?) you're going to be dropping dollars left and right. No worries, we can help you save on things like your hotel in NYC, going to some of the popular attractions, taking tours of New York City (and this is a great time to do it!) and all the other aspects of your trip!
- A few of the best NYC hotel deals for this fall start out with low rates at great hotels like the Hotel Wolcott NYC, TriBeCa Blu Hotel and the always affordable and ever-so convenient Chelsea Star Hotel.
- The InterContinental NY Barclay is offering deluxe getaway packages perfect for a weekend in NYC this fall and NYC shopping packages which include discounts at some of the best places to shop in the city!
- Liberty Helicopter Tours is running great deals on one of the best ways to see NYC - from above!
- The new NYC Go Select Cards offer exclusive deals on some of the other top things to do in NYC! From discounted NYC tours to admission to some of the top attractions in the city, you can save up to 55% on your NYC vacation!
Being an NYC Tourist in the fall comes with many advantages. The crowds have died down a bit, and for all of you who enjoy traveling when there aren’t a million screaming children around you feel a lot better knowing they’re all locked away in classrooms this time of year. The temperatures in NYC in the fall months are not blazing hot anymore, but you also don’t feel like you’re going to get frostbite when you walk outside for 20 seconds. These are months full of events, concerts and festivals that no NYC Tourist should have to miss out on! Book your trip to New York City this fall today!