New York City can get expensive, and from your hotel to all the things you want to do, a tour is sometimes one of the things that tourists will opt out of so that they can spend more on the other things to do in NYC. Fortunately for many, that doesn’t have to be the case! Free Tours by Foot is New York City’s only name-your-own-price tour company!
So how exactly does that work? It’s easy! Choose the kind of tour you want to take - they offer walking tours, food tours, bike tours and bus tours! If you opt for the walking tours (what Free Tours by Foot is clearly famous for) check out all of their different options in various neighborhoods and popular destinations. Once you have your tour picked out, be sure to reserve in advance! You wouldn’t want to miss out on your tour! Free Tours by Foot are great for travelers of all ages, and most are just over 1 mile total in about 2 hours time, so even the young ones can handle the walking. The tours are free to take, so you don’t pay anything upfront. Then afterwards you choose how much the tour was worth. These tours work for every budget, and will be worth every penny you decide to spend once it’s over!
Free Walking Tours Free Tours by Foot offers walking tours through some of the most famous neighborhoods in New York City, and all tours are name-your-own-price!
- New York Subway Art Tour: New York City is known for the mass transit system that transports millions of people a day across the city. What many people don’t know is that this is also one of the world’s largest art galleries, and for 2 hours, a $2.50 subway fee and trip to 12 subway stations in Manhattan and Brooklyn will show you all the overlooked treasures while you become better at navigating the subways than many long-time tourists.
- SoHo, Little Italy and Chinatown Tour: From the Cast Iron District to the Little Italy Pizzerias to the Former Five Points District, this tour combines history with a bit of pop culture and takes you deeper than any tour that visits all the typical tourist attractions.
- Harlem: Visit some of the city’s best kept secrets exploring Harlem’s architecture, culture, food and more! From famous religious centers to wonderful theatres, markets and restaurants, you’ll leave the tour more cultured than ever before!
- Grand Central Terminal Tour: Discover the beauty and history of one of New York City’s most famous attractions on a 2 hour walking tour of the Grand Central Terminal.
- Brooklyn Heights: Embrace the area that Travel and Leisure named one of America’s top 10 most beautiful neighborhoods one Saturday morning or Tuesday/Thursday evening!
- Midtown Manhattan: The true tourist experience! This tour will take you to all the most famous sites including Times Square, the Theatre District, Rockefeller Centre, Radio City Music Hall and more!
- Lower Manhattan: Start at the Charging Bull statue and continue along some of New York City’s most historic landmarks include Trinity Church, Wall Street, City Hall the 911 Memorial and much more.
- Greenwich Village: Roam the quiet, shaded streets of one of Manhattan’s most expensive residential neighborhoods, and along the way snap pictures of the Friends Apartment, Washington Square Park, New York University and the Cooper Union Building. Central Park: From Strawberry Fields to the Bethesda Terrace and Fountain, there’s plenty to be seen at Central Park that can go unnoticed without your helpful tour guide.
- All in One Downtown: Experience even more of Manhattan in a smaller group on this tour that is part walking, part subway ride, combining many of the tours listed above. Start in Lower Manhattan and work your way through Wall Street and the Financial District, Greenwich Village, SoHo, Chinatown, Little Italy, Chelsea Market and the Highline Park.
- All in One Uptown: Much like the previous tour, this walking and subway tour heads from Harlem, through Morningside Heights, Central Park and Midtown Manhattan.
Other Free NYC Tours:The Free Tours by Foot in New York City don’t just stop at the walking tours through these famous NYC neighborhoods. Hungry? Check out any of the food tours of NYC, include the pizza tour, Free New York Pub Crawl, or the food tour of Chinatown, East Village, Greenwich Village or the Lower East Side. The tours include 4-5 stops at inexpensive spots where you can choose your own food and pay directly. Or maybe you’d prefer some exercise? They offer bike tours as low as $10 for 2 hours in Manhattan and Brooklyn neighborhoods like Central Park, Lower Manhattan and a ride over the Brooklyn Bridge! If you prefer to sit back and relax on a tour, check out their Hop on Hop off New York Bus Tours!
Check out the Free Tours by Foot for yourself when you’re traveling on a budget but don’t want to sacrifice the sightseeing that is best enjoyed on a guided tour of NYC! Book your tour in advance to reserve a spot for your next trip.