Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
Hotels in New York City
Restaurants in New York City
Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival Summary
Event Overview: The Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival in New York is an annual sporting and multicultural event held every August on Meadow Lake in Flushing Meadows Corona Park. The festival, now in its 18th year, celebrates the fifth moon (or fifth month) of the lunar calendar with live performances, traditional Chinese food, and a thrilling race between over 150 dragon boat teams from North America.
What to Expect: A fun afternoon in the park. Because Flushing Meadows Corona Park lies in Queens, you'll find that the crowds at the annual Dragon Boat Festival NYC are much smaller than those at similar festivals in central Manhattan. Expect a great vibe and a lot of energy.
- Awesome Boats: When it was first founded in New York, the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival had only four boats in the competition. Now the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival boasts a fleet of over 30 Federation-approved dragon boats of teak and fiberglass. These sleek boats are truly something to behold.
- Food and Entertainment: The Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival is not simply a race; it's a celebration of the fifth moon (or the fifth month) of the lunar calendar. Expect the sort of revelry you'd find at any holiday celebration, including live performances and traditional Chinese food.
Inside Knowledge: The Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival began in 278 BC, when local fishermen threw rice dumplings into the Ni Lo River to honor the heroic spirit of Qu Yuan, a much-revered patriot-poet. Now rice dumplings are eaten on the day of the Dragon Boat Festival NYC, which is commemorated each year on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month. After the races, martial arts and traditional Chinese dance performances are held, along with other cultural demonstrations.
- Dress Appropriately: As you dress for the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival, remember that you will be sitting outdoors in the sun for extended periods of time. We recommend dressing in light summer attire.
- Bring Sunscreen: The sun in August can be brutal. Be sure to bring sunscreen with you to the Dragon Boat Festival NYC.
- Don't Forget Your Camera: If you plan on attending the Dragon Boat Festival NYC, be sure to bring your camera. You'll regret it if you don't capture the thrill of the race, the beauty of the park, and the excitement of the traditional Chinese performances.
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 1 review
100.0% recommended it
Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival Reviews
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the venue, but category representations. Visit the hotel's web site for actual photos.
Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival
Flushing Meadows Corona Park
11101 Corona Ave
Aug 10,2013 - Aug 11,2013
Dragon Boat Races and Live Performances at the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Event Quick Facts
- Admission to the Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival is free.
- The Hong Kong Dragon Festival will be held rain or shine.
- Children are welcome to watch the dragon boat races in NYC.