Light in the Piazza
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
Light in the Piazza Information
Show Quick Facts
- Winner of six Tony Awards in 2005.
- Original cast starred Victoria Clark, Kelli O'Hara, and "Glee" star Matthew Morrison.
- Light in the Piazza on Broadway features both English and Italian songs.
April 18, 2005 - July 2, 2006
Vivian Beaumont Theater
150 West 65th St (between Broadway & West 65th St)
New York, New York 10023
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 0 reviews
0.0 out of 5 Stars
0.0% recommended it
Light in the Piazza Reviews
There are currently no reviews!
Be the first to write a review!
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the show, but category representations. Visit the show's web site for actual photos.
Light in the Piazza
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Romantic Broadway Musical Took Home Six Tony Awards in 2005
Upper West Side
Features: A Tony Award-winning Broadway musical that premiered at the Vivian Beaumont Theater in 2005, Light in the Piazza tells the story of young love between an American tourist and an Italian man in 1953 Florence. Featuring a talented cast that included Victoria Clark and "Glee" star Matthew Morrison, Light in the Piazza Musical was one of the best reviewed musicals of 2005.
Why We Go: A throwback to classic Broadway musicals that featured dramatic, classical-style scores, Light in the Piazza on Broadway featured a beautiful love story surrounded by award-winning sets and costumes from 1950's Italy.
- Complicated Love Story: The romance in Light in the Piazza Musical is complicated, and filled with twists and turns that keep the audience engaged and the plot moving quickly.
- Costumes and Sets: The costumes and sets presented in Light in the Piazza Musical were the big winners at the Tony Awards in 2005, where it won three awards for scenic, costume, and lighting design.
- Interesting Score: The Light in the Piazza Musical score combined a classical orchestral score, and featured many songs in full Italian and broken English. While this left some audience members in the dark about certain plot points, Light in the Piazza on Broadway was impressive to listen to.
Inside Knowledge: The Light in the Piazza was a popular Broadway musical that touched on the risks - and rewards - of loves. The twists and turns give Light in the Piazza NYC the feel of a high-class soap opera. (Without the poor acting, thankfully.)
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Appreciate the Classic Musical: Few modern musicals match the intensity and efforts of Light in the Piazza on Broadway. Theater-goers embraced this throwback Broadway musical, and the result was critical acclaim and audience approval for Light in the Piazza Musical.
- Don't Worry About the Italian Score: A few songs in Light in the Piazza are sung exclusively in Italian. While this may be confusing at first, the talented actors and entertaining numbers give little doubt to where the plot is headed in Light in the Piazza.