Attending the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
If you’re planning on attending the Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade NYC, being prepared is key. The Macys parade route begins at 77th Street and Central Park West and ends at 7th Avenue and 34th Street. Arriving at approximately 6am on Thanksgiving Day should secure you a spot with a good view of the parade as most visitors arrive after 7am. There are several places designated for live viewers of the Macys parade:
The crowd arriving early to ensure a great position to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- Central Park West: on the West side of the street from 70th Street to Columbus Circle and the East side of the street from 70th Street to 65th Street.
- Columbus Circle: on the West side of the street.
- 7th Avenue: between 54th Street and 42nd Street.
- 42nd Street: from 7th Avenue to 6th Avenue.
- 6th Avenue: between 42nd Street and 34th Street
- 34th Street: on the South side of the street between Broadway and 7th Avenue.
While bringing lawn chairs is permitted, viewers are advised not to. Not only will standing patrons obstruct your view, but the streets become so overpopulated that hanging on to your chair will be the last thing you want to deal with.Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Tips & Details!
Getting to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
When traveling to the Macys New York parade, the best way of travel is public transit. While street parking is free, the chances of actually finding a spot are slim to none. Parking garages are open as well but severely hike their prices up for the Thanksgiving parade. Expect to pay around $50 to park in any parking garage in the vicinity of the Macys Day Parade. On top of finding a parking spot, another obstacle will be traffic. There are a number of road closures lasting from midnight to 3pm on Thanksgiving day depending on clean-up:
A large crowd arrived early to watch the NYC Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Central Park West: from West 59th Street to West 81st Street
- Broadway: between 34th Street and 59th Street
- 7th Avenue: between 33rd Street and 59th Street
- 6th Avenue: between 34th Street and 42nd Street
To beat the hassle, it’s best to travel by Subway to the Macys Thanksgiving Parade: take the “D” train to 34th Street/Herald Square or to the 59th Street/Columbus Circle stop. You can also take the “C” train to the 42nd Street/Times Square stop, or the 50th Street/8th Avenue stop, the 59th Street/Columbus Circle stop, the 72nd Street/Central Park West stop or the 81st Street/Central Park West stop.