Macys Fourth of July Fireworks
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
4th of July Tours in NYC
Hotels Rates in New York City
Macys Fourth of July Fireworks Summary
Event Overview: Each year to celebrate the country's independence, millions of people gather near the East River to view the Macys Fourth of July Fireworks show in New York City. In recent years, the colorful bursting fireworks are set off from five barges along the river with over 40,000 shells that explode over a thousand feet into the air above the peering crowds.There are many surrounding areas of the river that lend to great views of the famous annual display which is also broadcast live each year by NBC for viewers all across the country.
What to Expect: Because the Macys July 4th Fireworks NYC show is set along the East River, there is a lot of surrounding space throughout the area providing excellent views. Besides just the fireworks show, other elements of entertainment make this event an annual favorite.
- Musical Performances: In the past years, the Macys Fireworks show has included musical performances by musical entertainers, such as barbershop quartets, pop artists, choirs, gospel groups and more. The music generally plays in sync with the bursting explosions of color in the sky, while fitting in with the theme of American independence show.
- Water Show: The New York Fire Department becomes part of the show, from their boats in the water, shooting red, white and blue water that shoots 300 feet above the river. From the sky show to the water and musical additions, this event is perfectly entertaining.
Inside Knowledge: The first ever Macys Fourth of July Fireworks show occurred in 1958 and have moved back and forth between the Hudson River and East River settling on its current location, the East River (to the dismay of the festive fireworks watch'in folks in NJ), in 2014.
- Public viewing sections - There are public viewing sections that will fill up FAST in Manhattan along FDR Drive.
- ADA/Special Needs Areas - Manhattan: FDR Drive southbound lane at 16th Street & Avenue C or 34th Street (top of ramp) and Vietnam Memorial Park, Queens: Center Blvd from 48th Avenue to 49th Avenue and Brooklyn: Brooklyn Bridge Park at Furman Street and Old Fulton Street, near Pier #1
- Transportation - Visit www.mta.info for MTA information including trains, subway and bus schedules and information.
- Boater restrictions - Call Macy's Marine Hotline at (212) 494-5243
- Check Closed Streets: To make room for viewing of the Macys Fourth of July Fireworks presentation, many main streets surrounding the East River are blocked off starting at 4pm on July 4th. Check the road travel signs and be aware that your usual routes may be blocked off.
- Get Your Spot Early: Due to the blocked off streets so early in the day, crowds begin to form for the Macys July 4th Fireworks NYC show well before the 9:20pm start time. With over three million people attending, be sure to claim your space early to guarantee you have a clear viewing space among the other millions of people seeking the same thing.
- Tune In: Guests who can't make it to the live show can tune in starting at 9pm to catch the Macys July 4th Fireworks NYC show on NBC. Even guests who do attend the event may want to record the taped version of it, to see the musical performances up close and to see the fireworks from a different view.
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 1 review
100.0% recommended it
Macys Fourth of July Fireworks Reviews
Macys Fourth of July Fireworks Photos
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the venue, but category representations. Visit the hotel's web site for actual photos.
Macys Fourth of July Fireworks
Burst with Joy While Celebrating Independence Day With the Radiant Macys Fourth of July Fireworks Show
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Event Quick Facts
- Recently moved from the Hudson river to the East River.
- Live Taping on NBC begins at 9pm and fireworks begin at 9:20pm.
- There will be barges in two locations instead of one, providing multiple viewing areas in Midtown and South Street Seaport
- NYC hotels in the area book to capacity very quickly each year so be sure to book your rooms early if you want to be close to Macys for the 4th of July festivities.
4, 2, 3, A or C, to Fulton and walk east to South Street