Memphis the Musical
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
Memphis the Musical Information
Show Quick Facts
- Tony Award and Drama Desk Award-winning performance.
- Written by David Bryan and Joe Di Pietro who also wrote Off-Broadway show The Toxic Avenger.
- Choreography by Sergio Trujillo.
October 19, 2009- August 5, 2012
225 W 44th Street
New York, New York 10036
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 1 review
4.5 out of 5 Stars
100.0% recommended it
Memphis the Musical Reviews
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the show, but category representations. Visit the show's web site for actual photos.
Memphis the Musical
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Turn Up The Dial and Experience a Fully Charged Eccentric Performance With Memphis on Broadway
Features: Memphis the Musical plays at Shubert Theatre in New York City. Packed full of thrillingly energetic choreography by Sergio Trujillo, explosive rock, blues and gospel songs and an intriguing story of forbidden multi-racial love in the South during the 1950s. Based on real events, this love story follows a young white radio DJ, Huey, who breaks the mold by playing rebellious "race" music. As he enters the world of underground dance clubs and continues to push for progression in the airwaves, Huey meets his love interest, Felicia, a black singer trying to make her big break.
Why We Go: Memphis on Broadway is anything but boring. Packed with punch, the charged stage is full of incredible talent, telling the story of Huey and Felicia's individual struggles in the music industry as they also struggle as a couple under the shadow of forbidden love.
- The Music: Both leading characters are driven by their passions for music to make a difference and a name for themselves and this musical features award-winning music and lyrics that help tell the story of the Memphis Broadway Musical.
- The Energy: Memphis Broadway possessed an electric energy from start to finish and the stage is bursting with talent, captivating audiences from the first musical number "Underground," all the way through the closing curtain call.
- Award-Winning Musical: Memphis the musical has received eight Tony Awards, including "Best Musical," "Best Direction of a Musical," "Best Costume Design of a Musical" and more, as well as seven Drama World Awards.
Inside Knowledge: Main character, Huey is based on real-life Memphis DJ from the 1950s, Dewey Phillips, who was the first radio DJ to ever spin an Elvis Presley record. Driven by his love of "race" music, Huey is a pioneer in radio who changes the industry and music in mainstream America forever, much like the impact Dewey Phillips had.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do See it On Tour: Memphis on Broadway is hitting the road on a US Tour, so be sure to experience this amazing musical while near you!
- Do Expect Racy Themes: Sex, Racism and Rock and Roll are prominent themes in the exciting story of Huey and Felicia breaking through racial barriers in their relationship and their individual careers in music in the 1950s.
- Don't Forget Tissues: Audience members quickly build emotional connections with the characters in Memphis the musical, as they go through ups and downs throughout the storyline. Guests are likely to laugh during the performance and many may cry as well.
- Don't Overlook the Message: Although the Memphis Broadway show features characters who fight for what they believe in, against the odds, the underlying theme reveals how powerful music truly is and that it can bring people together from various backgrounds through a common love.