December in NYC
Get in the New York City holiday spirit when you visit NYC in December. December in NYC is one of the busiest times to visit New York - and in the City That Never Sleeps, that's really saying something. With NYC holiday events around every corner, there are several NYC attractions in December to choose from.
Before you head out, here are a few quick tips for attending a NYC December event.
- Dress Warm! December in NYC can get chilly. Always make sure to layer up before you hit the streets of NYC in December.
- Leave With a Plan. Before leaving the comfort of your NY hotel room, it's best to have at least a loose plan of which December NYC event you are planning on attending. After all, the New York City streets are crowded, the air is chilly, and it gets dark out in a hurry.
- Bring Change. With Salvation Army "Santas" on many street corners throughout December in NYC, it's nice to give a helpful hand towards those in need during the holidays in New York.
Now that you're ready for the best events December in NYC has to offer, scroll down to tour all the New York City holiday event possibilities below!
Holidays in NYC
The holidays are the the main draw when it comes to December in NYC, and with so many beautiful lights and fun decorations everywhere you look, it's basically impossible to forget it's the holidays in NYC. No matter what your beliefs are, the New York holidays offer something to get any NYC tourist in the holiday spirit!
More than 40,000 New Yorkers and tourists attend the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting
- Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting: The lighting of the Rockefeller Center Tree is an annual NYC event that takes place at the end of November or the beginning of December each year. More than 40,000 New Yorkers and tourists attend this popular December event in NYC, and the lighting of the iconic tree at Rockefeller Center in Manhattan officially kicks off the holidays in NYC.
Click here for a video of what you can expect when attending the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting!
- Lighting of the Hanukkah Menorah NYC: Watch as the largest Menorah in the world is lit for eight days straight at 5th Ave and 59th St in New York. Enjoy a lively, family-friendly NYC celebration with traditional Jewish cuisine as this 32-foot tall Menorah is lit up for all of New York City to see!
- The Matzo Ball NYC: The NYC Matzo Ball is the popular alternative to Christmas Eve festivites for young Jewish men and women in New York City. At this Jewish NYC event, dance the night away with one of the best DJs in NY, and meet plenty of young Jewish singles at the New York City Matzo Ball in Manhattan.
Click here for even more fun ideas and events during your vacation in NYC, including where to find the best NYC holiday light displays and markets in New York City!
Holiday Shows in NYC
In a city as rich with entertainment as New York City, it's no surprise that there are a number of great NY shows celebrating the holidays in NYC. Check out some of the highlights when it comes to NYC holiday entertainment below.
- The Nutcracker Ballet: A popular NYC tradition since 1954, the Nutcracker Ballet at the Lincoln Center plays throughout the month of December in NYC. A popular NYC event in December with families, the Nutcracker is one of the most recognizable and world-renowned ballet performances in the world.
- Radio City Christmas Spectacular: Featuring the famous Radio City Rockettes, this popular NYC event in December has been a holiday tradition in NYC since 1933. Watch as the Rockettes perform their signature dance routines - including "The Parade of the Wooden Soldiers" - as well as fresh dance numbers each year. Playing from November to the end of December, this classic Broadway show in NYC is fun for the entire family.
Broadway also hosts one or two special holiday shows NYC each year, which usually run from the middle of November until after the New Year. Past family-friendly holiday Broadway shows include How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Elf. For a complete list of Broadway shows in NYC - including special holiday productions - check out Broadway shows page here!
New Years Eve Times Square
Celebrate the New Year in style with over 1 million of your best friends in Times Square!
You've seen it on TV - now it's time to enjoy the real thing in person. Celebrate the New Year in style with over 1 million of your best friends at the New Years Eve Celebration in Times Square. Watch as the famous New Year's ball drops at midnight at the most popular New Years celebration in the country.
For helpful tips and information on the Times Square New Years Eve Celebration - including when to arrive and what to expect - click here.
Remember, NYC sports are in full swing during December in New York City. Click here for the best deals on NYC sports tickets, as well as game schedules for all the New York-area teams.