January Events in NYC
January in NYC is certainly one of the coldest months of the year in the Big Apple.
While January in NYC is certainly one of the coldest months of the year in the Big Apple, there are still plenty of hot NY events to check out. After all, New Yorkers are tough! NY natives aren't about to let a little bit of cold weather spoil their party, and neither should you.
If you're in New York City to visit the many great NY museums and art galleries, January in NYC offers a number of great NY art events that art enthusiasts are sure to love. NYC parade lovers have two great Manhattan parade options during the month of January in NY. Finally, New York sports fans can get tickets to a number of great NYC sporting events in January, and can even stay active with one or two January NYC that are sure to get the blood flowing.
For the complete list of NYC events in January, follow the links below.
NYC Art Events in January
New York City is a mecca for talented artists in the U.S. all year long. While there is a great NYC event for the arts nearly every month of the year, January in NYC features a pair of popular NY art events that showcase the great talents of artists in New York.
- New York Times Arts and Leisure Weekend: The NY Times Arts and Leisure Weekend is an annual January event in NYC that takes place the second weekend of January each year. This NY event brings together famous musicians, actors, filmmakers, journalists and more for exclusive panel discussions hosted by writers from the New York Times. Tickets to this popular NY event for the arts are sold in advance, and past panel discussions have included high-profile names in NYC, including Katie Couric, Robert Redford, and even Trent Reznor.
- NYC Jewish Film Festival: Located at the Jewish Museum in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, this NY film festival spans over two weeks, and features Jewish films from around the world that are both old and new. This annual NYC event has been going strong for more than 20 years, and regularly premieres Jewish foreign films in the U.S. Once again, we recommend NYC tourists hoping to attend the NY Jewish Film Festival purchase their tickets well in advance, as this popular NY event in January regularly sells out.
NYC Parades in January
New York City is famous for its decadent parades year round. Always ready for a celebration, NYC parades are some of the most popular attractions in New York, and despite the cold weather, January in NYC is no exception.
- MLK Day Parade in NYC: Martin Luther King Day in NYC is a special holiday in New York City. NYC had a major role in the Civil Rights Movement, and African-American leaders like Martin Luther King, Jr. had a great presence in New York City. The MLK Day Parade in NYC travels 25 streets down 5th Avenue, and attracts a strong NYC crowd wishing to pay tribute to Dr. King.
- Three Kings Day Parade: A week before the MLK Day Parade in New York is the annual Three Kings Day Parade in East Harlem. This family-friendly NY event in January celebrates the strong Latino community in New York City, as well as the Biblical Feast of the Epiphany and the Three Kings. However, the main draw of this popular NY parade are the camels and sheep that can be seen walking down 3rd Avenue NYC!
January Sports Events in NYC
The NY Road Runners Midnight Run might be the only NY running event to offer champagne glasses to runners
January can be a great time to be a sports fan in NYC. While NY football fans are always hopeful that both NY Jets and New York Giants will be in the playoffs this time of year, it is guaranteed that both the NY Knicks and NY Rangers will be playing in Madison Square Garden throughout January. Also, there are even one or two NY sporting events in January that encourage NYC tourists to participate in the fun.
- NY Road Runners Midnight Run: Start the New Year off with a bang at this NYC running event in Central Park. Join 4,000 serious - and not so serious - NY runners for a night of racing and partying in New York City. This four mile race through the famous Central Park might be the only NY running event to offer champagne glasses to runners. Whether you're a runner or a spectator, you'll have a blast at this New Year's Eve NYC party!
January NYC Shows and Conventions
Two popular NYC shows - the NY Boat Show and the Winter Antiques Show NYC -take place every year in NYC. The NY Boat Show hosts more than 1,000 different boat models at the Jacob Javits Center in Manhattan, and is perfect for NYC tourists looking for a great deal on a boat. The Winter Antiques Show NYC at the Park Avenue Armory is a must-see NYC event for antique enthusiasts, and is considered to be the most prestigious antique show in NYC.
Check out the NYC Events Calendar for a full list of popular NYC events in January.