Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
Fourth of July Tours in NYC
Hotels in New York City
Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest Summary
Event Overview: A famous 4th of July tradition in NYC, nothing says "America" like the annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest on Coney Island in Brooklyn. 20 Nathan's Contest competitors battle each other - and their stomachs - as they attempt to stuff as many Nathan's hot dogs and buns into their mouth in 10 minutes. The results are often impressive - and disgusting.
What to Expect: Though this 4th of July NYC tradition has been taking place since 1916, the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest has become incredibly popular over the last decade. Famous competitive eaters like America's Joey Chestnut and Japan's Kobayashi have become household names, and the event drew 40,000 fans in 2010.
- Heat: Between the tremendous July heat and the heavy crowds, temperatures can rise in a hurry at this famous hot dog contest in Brooklyn. Make sure to bring water and stay hydrated at this NYC event.
- Food: There are tons of hot dog vendors and other vendors at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest in Brooklyn. Bring cash and enjoy an American classic while you enjoy this annual New York tradition.
Inside Knowledge: The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest has certainly provided some memorable moments over the years. In 2009, competitive eater Joey Chestnut ate a world record 68 hot dogs, beating his own previous record of 66. In 2010, former Hot Dog Competition champion Kobayashi was arrested for "crashing" the Nathan's Contest after he was refused entry for not signing with Major League Eating.
- Get There Early: With more than 40,000 fans flocking Coney Island for this popular NYC event, you'll want to arrive early to make sure you can see the Nathan's Hot Dog Competition.
- Be Cautious of Bringing Kids: Between the large crowds, the heat, and their inability to see over people in front of them, the Hot Dog Eating Contest at Nathan's Famous is not the most kid-friendly 4th of July event.
- Eat at Nathan's: We're not sure you'll be craving a hot dog after watching Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contestant, but we definitely recommending eating one of their famous wiener before the competition.
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 1 review
100.0% recommended it
Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest Reviews
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the venue, but category representations. Visit the hotel's web site for actual photos.
Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
Nathan's Famous Restaurant
1310 Surf Ave
Brooklyn, New York, US
Hot Dog Eating Contest a NYC 4th of July Tradition
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Event Quick Facts
- Joey Chestnut holds the Nathan's Contest Record - and world record - for eating 68 Nathan's Famous hot dogs in ten minutes.
- 40,000 fans attended the 4th of July hot dog competition at Nathan's NYC.
- Six-time Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest Champion Kobayashi was arrested for "crashing" the event in 2010.
- This famous hot dog contest began in 1916.
Coney Island-Stillwell Ave (D, F, N, Q)