Summer is coming to an end, but there are still plenty of fun and exciting things happening in the city that never sleeps. All month long, there are tons of fun events, concerts, festivals and things to do in New York City. Check out any of the popular NYC attractions, and don't forget to take advantage of all the last minute NYC summer savings to make the most out of one final summer vacation. NYCTourist.com has the inside scoop on all the top NYC events in August.
Broadway Show Deals This Month
So many favorite Broadway shows are playing in New York City this month, and many of them are offering fantastic deals to patrons who buy their tickets online. Shows licked The Lion King, Wicked, Newsies, Rock of Ages and more all have exclusive online savings that theatre go-ers can take advantage of up to the very last minute. There are also many new shows on Broadway to check out this month. Let It Be is the new Beatles tribute that's rocking Broadway with NYC show tickets as low as $30 each for those who shop online. August is the perfect month to catch a show in NYC and take advantage of all the huge savings on Broadway.
- July 27 - August 24 - Harlem Week
Join over 2 million people for the month long celebrations and over 100 events that all celebrate Harlem.
- Thru August 18th - Shakespeare in the Park
"The most beloved of the city’s summer theater rites and a cherished New York institution" according to The New York Times.
- August 3, 10 and 17th - Summer Streets
The annual celebration of the streets opens up nearly 7 miles of New York City for everyone to play, run, walk and bike freely for three consecutive Saturdays this summer.
- Thru August 8th - BAM Rhythm & Blues Festival at MetroTech Commons
Spend lunchtime dancing away your workday worries during this complimentary summertime performance series at MetroTech Commons. Scheduled performers include the likes of Bobby Rush, the Stooges Brass Band and Shuggie Otis.
- August 9–25 - New York International Fringe Festival
FringeNYC is a theater festival, one of the largest multi-arts events in North America, which brings around 200 different shows to Manhattan each year.
- August 10–11 - Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival
Thousands of revellers come together each year for boats, beers and cheers on Meadow Lake in New York City.
- August 17–18 - Jazz Age Lawn Party
Bust out your flapper gear and brush up on The Great Gatsby for this outdoor bash on Governors Island.
- 18th Annual Today Concert Series continues at Rockefeller Center thru August 30th. This month’s bands include The Band Perry (8/2), Michael Buble (8/9), Jimmu Buffett, (8/15), Luke Bryan (8/16), One Direction (8/23) and Chris Brown (8/30).
- Good Morning America Summer Concert Series at Rumsey Playfield, Central Park also continues thru August 30. Ne-Yo, Kenny Chesney, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, The Wanted and Alicia Keys will play very early sets on ABC's morning show Friday’s this month, which are free to the public.
- Labor Day Weekend in NYC
Celebrate one last hoorah in NYC this Labor Day weekend! The weather will still be warm, and there are so many fun and exciting opportunities for Broadway shows, parties, delicious meals and sightseeing in NYC. Have a fantastic last weekend of summer in the Big Apple.
NYCTourist.com is an authority on traveling to New York City. NYCTourist.com is a one-stop destination when planning a NYC vacation. Find the best information, deals, reviews and tickets for events, attractions, Broadway shows and hotels in New York City. Lizz Riggs, editor of NYCTourist.com, can help travelers find all the best things to do, places to stay and deals to take advantage of on their next trip.