New York City is a mecca for the die-hard shopaholic, intense bargain-hunter and casual window-shopper alike, as the city is punctuated with every type of store imaginable. Stroll down the various streets to browse in some boutiques, persevere at a sample sale, and perhaps even go on a New York City shopping tour. There are also some wonderful NYC hotels that offer shopping packages, which is a further incentive to shop 'til you drop.
Why not embrace the impending warm Spring weather by planning a shopping adventure in NYC?
Samples Sales in NYC - Great Deals on Top Designers
There are constantly some stellar sample sales occurring in New York City. These sales are an ideal way to score some high-end and designer items at more affordable prices. Interested parties always need to move fast, as most sample sales last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, with a lot of the hottest items selling out quickly. Top designers like Nanette Lepore, Diane Von Furstenberg and Tory Burch are among the fashion icons that participate in placing their merchandise in a sample sale.
RELATED: Shopping in NYC - Stores, NY Souvenirs and more...
Our Suggestion for Finding Sample Sales:
It may seem intimidating to a traveler to try and immerse yourself in the competitive world of sample sale shopping, but thankfully there are some helpful Apps designed to make these sales more accessible. NYC Chic provides a free app that alerts shopaholics to the various sample sales happening around the city. The NYC Chic App even breaks the sample sales down by neighborhood, which is a perfect way to coordinate some shopping with sightseeing. As you're walking along, the app will alert you of any sample sales located within a 1 mile radius of you, which takes all the work and worry out of searching, and leaves you to enjoy all the saving! This free app is the best companion a girl can have to braving the sample sales. We wouldn't recommend that you go shopping in New York City without it!
Top Areas for Spring Shopping NYC
- Bleecker Street: Even if winter seems to be lingering In New York City despite the groundhog’s promise of an early Spring, add some cheer to your day by taking a peek at the brightly decorated store windows that are scattered throughout Bleecker Street. Marc Jacobs already has a peppy display of a Spring picnic in their windows, complete with giant bee sculptures. Travel further down the street to Michael Kors, whose resort wear collections will seem to fast-forward time through these final dreary days of winter to late Spring and early Summer. Mulberry’s display encapsulates everything the fresh season has to offer, with electric-colored handbags and florals. Commemorate the trip by purchasing an item at one of these Bleecker Street boutiques - we won’t tell.
- Madison Avenue: Shopping in New York City doesn’t get more iconic than Madison Avenue. Be sure to arrange enough time for a stop at Barney’s New York, a luxury department store that personifies the elegance and glamor of New York City. Lust after a new handbag at one of the boutiques that is peppered along Madison Avenue such as Chloe or Celine, and gaze at the amazing fashion creations at Prada and Carolina Herrera.
- Chelsea: Want to do some damage in an area that is slightly less touristy but still has tons of great shopping to offer? Check out Chelsea, which is home to some notable vintage boutiques and stores. Add some pieces with character to your wardrobe at one of the second-hand stores like Rags-a-Gogo or Pippin. Any girl looking to freshen up her makeup bag for Spring should stop at Inglot, a makeup superstore that offers hundreds of products in the perfect palette for the season.
Find Shopping Deals Through Your NYC Hotel
Looking for a New York City hotel that will offer comfortable amenities plus further incentives for fueling a shopping addiction?
- The Intercontinental New York Barclay Hotel is infused with old-world charm and class, and is perfectly situated within a short walking distance of such New York City shopping mainstays as Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue. The amenities are top-notch, and the hotel even has a wonderful shopping package for combining a stay with a breakfast for two, plus a free shopping map and a $50 gift card to spend.
- The Staybridge Suites in Times Square also offer a prime location. Tourists can even incorporate one of the New York City shopping tours into their visit; these provide further exploration of NYC’s shopping highlights, and can even take guests to one of the nearby outlet malls.