Explore the wonders of New York!
Staten Island Museum
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
Staten Island Museum Information
Staten Island Museum Info
Adults - $5; Students and Seniors - $3; Children under 12 - Free
Mon.-Fri. 12pm-5pm, Sat. 10am-5pm, Sun. 12pm-5pm
When to Go:
All ages are welcome.
- The NY Staten Island Museum offers free lunchtime admission on Tuesdays between 12pm and 2pm.
Staten Island Museum Quick Facts
- The Staten Island History Museum is located in the St. George neighborhood of Staten Island.
- The Staten Island History Museum is the oldest cultural institution in Staten Island and the only remaining general interest museum in New York City.
- The Staten Island History Museum is great for kids.
75 Stuyvesant Place
Staten Island, US
Phone Number: 718.727.1135
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 0 reviews
0.0 out of 5 Stars
0.0% recommended it
Staten Island Museum Reviews
There are currently no reviews!
Be the first to write a review!
Transportation Nearby Staten Island Museum
Staten Island Museum Hotel
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the attraction, but category representations. Visit the attractions's web site for actual photos.
Find Nearby Hotels
Staten Island Museum
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Over 500,000 Botanical, Biological, and Anthropological Specimens at the Staten Island Museum
Prices Starting at
$3.00 for adults
Features: Just a short ferry ride away from Manhattan, the Staten Island Museum boasts over two million artifacts and specimens from ancient to contemporary periods. Featured exhibits include The Staten Island Ferry: The First 100 Years of Municipal Service and The Lenape: The First Staten Islanders.
Why We Go: The Staten Island Museum is home to over 500,000 botanical, biological, anthropological, and mineral specimens. Kids and adults alike will enjoy viewing the mounted butterfly collections and the fascinating American Indian exhibits.
- Staten Island Ferry Exhibition: The Staten Island Museum proudly displays the only Staten Island Ferry exhibit in the United States. Here you can learn about the history of the Staten Island Ferry through photographs, artwork, ship models, and artifacts, including a 50-year-old U.S. Navy Mark V Diving Suit.
- The Wall of Insects: One of the most interesting exhibits at the Staten Island Museum is the Wall of Insects, a display of over 150 beetles, cicadas, butterflies, and moths from the permanent collection.
- Cicada Collection: When you're finished with the Wall of Insects, take a gander at the Staten Island Museum Cicada Collection, the largest cicada collection in North America (only a fraction of the collection's 35,000 specimens is on display).
Inside Knowledge: Founded in 1881 by 14 of New York's first environmental activists, the Staten Island Museum is the oldest cultural institution in Staten Island and the only remaining general interest museum in New York City. The museum's holdings are organized into three main collections: Natural Sciences, Fine Art, and History Archives & Library.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Bring the Kids: Children, especially boys, will enjoy viewing the biological specimens at the Staten Island Museum. Of particular interest is the Cabinet of Curiosities, which houses a pickled star-nosed mole, a four-legged chicken, and other natural wonders.
- Do Ride the Ferry: If you're staying in Manhattan, be sure to ride the ferry to the Staten Island Museum. Once you've arrived on Staten Island, it's only a short walk to the museum, where you can learn all about the Staten Island Ferry.
- Don't Miss the Lenape Exhibit: Featuring artifacts dating back 12,000 years, The Lenape: The First Staten Islanders is the most comprehensive exhibit dedicated to the region's Native Americans. Definitely check it out.
- Don't Break the Bank: A single general admission ticket to the Staten Island Museum is only $3 - not even 20% of what most Manhattan museums charge for a single adult ticket. Rest assured you'll get your money's worth.