The Armory Show
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
Hotel near The Armory Show
Restaurants near The Armory Show
The Armory Show Summary
Event Overview: Celebrating its 99th anniversary in 2012, the Armory Show in New York is among the most controversial and important art exhibitions held in the United States. It was here that Marcel Duchamp debuted his famous Nude Descending a Staircase, and it was here that America was first introduced to the Modernist movement.
What to Expect: The Armory Show in New York is widely regarded as one of the most important art shows in North America. Because of its reputation, it tends to draw popular, well-established artists and big crowds.
- Commercial Interests: Since its inception in 1913, the Armory Show has become more and more commercialized, showcasing works that are generally more accepted by the artistic community. Expect big names.
- Crude Artwork: No stranger to controversy, the NYC Armory Show often features a number of crude or vulgar paintings. Those with sensitive stomachs might do well to avert their eyes.
Inside Knowledge: First held in New York in 1913, the Armory Show introduced Americans to modern art and inspired American artists to break away from the realist tradition. This first show was not without controversy; critics and reporters accused the artists of insanity, immorality, and anarchy, and President Theodore Roosevelt remarked that the works were "not art."
- Wear Comfortable Shoes: Because of the size of the NYC Armory Show, you'll likely be spending a lot of time on your feet. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- Have an Open Mind: When the Armory Show first opened in 1913, critics accused the artists of insanity, immorality, and anarchy, among other things. We encourage you to have a more open mind when you attend this show and look at the paintings.
- Don't Expect Riots: The conditions that made the original Armory Show controversial no longer exist today. You will not find riots at this art show, but you will have a good time.
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 3 reviews
100.0% recommended it
The Armory Show Reviews
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the venue, but category representations. Visit the hotel's web site for actual photos.
The Armory Show
Piers 92 & 94
711 12th Avenue
New York, US
Mar 08,2012 - Mar 11,2012
$10 - $30
Contemporary and Modern Art at the Armory Show in New York
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Event Quick Facts
- The NYC Armory Show is held each year at Piers 92 & 94 in Manhattan's Midtown West neighborhood.
- The Armory Art Show begins at 12pm and ends at 8pm Thursday through Saturday, and begins at 12pm and ends at 7pm on Sunday.
- The NYC Armory Show features contemporary and modern art.
50th St-8th Ave (C, E)