The Fantasticks Broadway
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
The Fantasticks Broadway Information
Show Quick Facts
- Fantasticks the Musical is performed at the Snapple Theater Center in New York.
- The Fantasticks Musical was performed 17,162 times in 42 years, making it the world's longest-running musical.
- The Fantasticks Broadway features music by Harvey Schmidt and book and lyrics by Tom Jones.
June 16, 2008 - Ongoing
Mon.-Tues. 8pm, Wed. 2pm, Fri. 8pm, Sat. 2pm and 8pm, Sun. 3pm and 7:30pm
2 hours 5 minutes
Snapple Theater Center
New York, New York 10019
50th St-8th Ave (C, E); 50th St-Broadway (1); 49th St-7th Ave (N, R, W)
Ages 4 and up
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 0 reviews
0.0 out of 5 Stars
0.0% recommended it
The Fantasticks Broadway Reviews
There are currently no reviews!
Be the first to write a review!
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the show, but category representations. Visit the show's web site for actual photos.
The Fantasticks Broadway
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Tender Humor and Poignant Performances in The Fantasticks Broadway
Cost of a low price ticket
$ - $25 and under
$$ - $25-50
$$$ - $50-100
$$$$- $100 and above
Features: The Fantasticks Broadway debuted in 1960 and has been performed over 17,000 times since. The play, which features music by Harvey Schmidt and book and lyrics by Tom Jones, tells the story of two neighboring fathers who trick their children into falling in love by pretending to feud and erecting a wall between their houses. The Tony Award-winning Fantasticks musical was made into a feature-length film in 1995.
Why We Go: The Fantasticks Broadway celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2010. With 17,162 performances, it is the world's longest running musical. Of course, there is a reason this play has endured: it is charming, poignant, and full of catchy, melodic songs.
- Accolades: If the undying popularity of The Fantasticks Broadway doesn't convince you of its charm, consider this: the musical received a special Tony Award in 1992 for excellence in theater, and Tom Jones and Harvey Schmidt received the coveted ASCAP-Richard Rodgers Award in 1993 in recognition of their lifetime achievements.
- Clever Plot: Based in part on the Les Romanesques by Edmond Rostand, The Fantasticks Broadway lovingly parodies the high drama of tragic plays such as Romeo and Juliet. The musical's fresh and delightfully surprising use of stock plot devices - such as the family feud and the building of a wall - has endeared it to audiences all over the world.
- Tom Jones: If anyone deserves credit for the success of The Fantasticks Broadway, it is Tom Jones, who wrote the book and lyrics for The Fantasticks and starred not only in the play's 1960 debut, but also in its 2006 revival. Because of his enthusiastic devotion and support, the show's original 44 investors have received a 19,465% return on their $16,500 investment.
Inside Knowledge: From 2006 until 2010, when the play celebrated its 50th anniversary, the part of Henry was played by Tom Jones, who also wrote the book and lyrics for The Fantasticks Musical.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Bring the Kids: The Fantasticks Broadway is as delightful for children as it is for adults. Expect tender, kid-friendly humor and catchy, toe-tapping songs in this acclaimed musical production.
- Do Buy the Original Soundtrack: Like the music? Pick up a copy of the original cast recording of The Fantasticks Broadway, which features music by Harvey Schmidt and lyrics by Tom Jones.
- Don't Miss the Feature Film: The Fantasticks Broadway was made into a feature-length film in 1995. The film, directed by Michael Ritchie, was released in 2000. It stars Joel Grey and Brad Sullivan.
- Don't Forget Tom Jones: Singer and musical legend Tom Jones wrote the book and lyrics for The Fantasticks Broadway. If you like the play, be sure to check out his classic albums, which have sold over 100 million copies.