Westminster Kennel Club
*Promotions listed are subject to change without notice and based on availability. We make no guarantee that the promotions listed are available.
Hotels near Madison Square Garden
Restaurants near Madison Square Garden
Westminster Kennel Club Summary
Event Overview: The Westminster Kennel Club Show, held annually to a sold-out crowd at the massive Madison Square Garden indoor arena, is regarded as the most prestigious sporting event for purebred dogs. Over the course of two days, the 2,500 entries representing 179 breeds will compete for Best In Show, the single most coveted award in the canine community. The Westminster Kennel Show is broadcast live on televisions across the nation and enjoys a large and dedicated following online, where it is live-streamed.
What to Expect: As the nation's premier sporting event for purebred dogs, the Westminster Kennel Show promises to attract the big names in the canine community. Look for champion dogs (and their owners) to return for another attempt at the coveted Best In Show title.
- Dogs: Not surprisingly, the Westminster Kennel Club Show is absolutely packed with dogs. Exactly 2,500 dogs of 179 breeds will participate in the event, and that's to say nothing of those noncompeting dogs who have joined their owners in New York City.
- Crowds: The Westminster Kennel Show has sold out the massive Madison Square Garden indoor arena every year since 2005. Prior to the show, New York is busy with canine activity, including unrelated dog conventions and events. Expect a crowd.
- Well-Dressed Spectators: While no dress code is imposed by the Westminster Kennel Club, you'll find that many, if not the majority, of those attending the Westminster Kennel Show have dressed up for the occasion. We recommend dressing in what might be called "comfortable office attire."
Inside Knowledge: Established in 1877, the Westminster Kennel Club is America's oldest organization devoted to the sport of purebred dogs, pre-dating not only the American Kennel Club, which governs the sport, but also the invention of the light bulb and the establishment of the World Series. Next to the Kentucky Derby, the Westminster Kennel Show is America's longest continuously held sporting event. As of 2010, a total of 299,024 dogs have been entered in Westminster Kennel Club shows, with 1,673 judges officiating. The oldest dog to have been awarded Best In Show, as of 2010, was Ch. Clussexx Three D Grinchy Glee, a Sussex Spaniel ten years, two months, and nine days old; the youngest was Ch. Laund Loyalty of Bellhaven, a Rough Collie exactly nine months old.
- Check the Schedule: Hoping to see one particular breed? Consult the Westminster Kennel Club schedule. All Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting, and Herding breeds will be judged on Monday, with Groups judged on Monday evening. All Sporting, Working, and Terrier breeds will be judged on Tuesday, with Groups judged on Tuesday evening. Best In Show will also be judged on Tuesday evening. Individual breed judging begins each day at 8am and ends at 6pm.
- Take Advantage of Group Discounts: Those attending the Westminster Kennel Show will enjoy special discounted group rates for NYC hotels . Simply ask for the Westminster group rate when booking your room. (Note that most hotels require that you book your rooms by late December or early January).
- Enjoy Other Events: In the days leading up to the Westminster Kennel Show, New York City is bustling with canine activity. Among the other events scheduled for the week prior to the show are the Business of Writing Conference, a writing conference for those in the pet writing and publishing industry; William Secord Gallery's "Canine Masters" exhibit, a collection of nineteenth-century dog paintings; the American Canine Education Foundation's Annual Reception and Dance; and the Dog Writers Association of America's Annual Awards Dinner. We recommend booking your rooms early and enjoying some of these events.
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 0 reviews
0.0% recommended it
Westminster Kennel Club Reviews
There are currently no reviews!
Be the first to write a review!
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the venue, but category representations. Visit the hotel's web site for actual photos.
Westminster Kennel Club
Madison Square Garden
2 Penn Plaza
New York, US
Feb 13,2013 - Feb 14,2013
$72 - $1299
Well-Groomed Dogs and Passionate Dog Lovers at the Westminster Kennel Club Show
Do you agree? Write your own review!
Event Quick Facts
- The Westminster Kennel Club Show will be held at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
- The Westminster Kennel Show will be held in February 2013.
- The Westminster Dog Show is likely to sell out.
34th St-7th Ave (1, 2, 3); 33rd Street (PATH); 34th St-8th Ave (A, C, E)